Surviving and thriving and getting that professional archives position.

Welcome. If you're here, you're probably wondering how to get some job--maybe the perfect professional archives position or maybe just something you can use as a springboard--and you're seeking advice on how to do that. From searching for advertisements to writing a resume or cover letter to making it through the interview. And hopefully even beyond.

No guarantees, you probably already know a lot of this, but maybe some help from a lot of people who want to make sure that good candidates get good jobs. If you've got better advice? or need further explanation? Please share in the comments.

Friday, April 23, 2010

A table of contents

Since anybody coming on to this blog might prefer to read specific sections or have the ability to read it in the written order (instead reverse chronological), here's the TOC. With some brief annotations to help decipher the occasionally goofy titles. The BTP entries represent Between The Posts entries which weren't originally part of the plans for the blog but were inserted because of questions or comments.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your help, Arlene. Quick question: Do you think it's OK to put your work phone number on a resume? I have a phone in my office that only I answer, and it's where I can usually be reached during the day. But I don't want to give recruiters the impression that I am looking for a new job while I'm supposed to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, no? No, I don't think it's okay. I would certainly end up with the impression that you're looking for a new job while you're supposed to be working. It's the same way I feel about people who use their work emails to job search. I'm even skeptical about candidates who answer their cell phones when I'm pretty sure they're at their desks. I have no problem with leaving a message and having you return my call on your next break. I'd rather hope that's what you did. But that's me. Maybe other recruiters feel differently.

    ReplyDelete