Surviving and thriving and getting that professional archives position.

Welcome. If you're here, you're probably wondering how to get some job--maybe the perfect professional archives position or maybe just something you can use as a springboard--and you're seeking advice on how to do that. From searching for advertisements to writing a resume or cover letter to making it through the interview. And hopefully even beyond.

No guarantees, you probably already know a lot of this, but maybe some help from a lot of people who want to make sure that good candidates get good jobs. If you've got better advice? or need further explanation? Please share in the comments.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

BTP: the schedule

It just occurred that since I told you I have an outline for the postings that you might like to see it. Many of these will make up multiple postings: I'm currently at 6 separate postings for the resume section and who knows? It might end up being more. I'm going to aim posting an entry each M/W/F for the main schedule and any BTPs alongside as topics and suggestions come up in the comments.

So aside from the background that we've already done, here's what's up next in order:
  • Meta info: who did the survey, what kinds of numbers are they getting on apps
  • Advertisements: where, what
  • Meta app info: what docs you'll need and what to learn from the resume books (and what not to learn)
  • Cover letter
  • Resume
  • Reference checks
  • Intermission/review/reinforcements
  • Interviews
  • How long do recruitments take?
  • Following up for candidates
  • Other advice
  • Networking
  • Survey feedback
  • Conclusions (if any can be made)
Truthfully, we're probably looking at May here to get through all of this.

I've really enjoyed the commentary thus far--please keep it up! You're helping me write and rewrite sections and think about what I've missed and what I'll need to include. Again, I've got the comments set to be moderated and I think I'll keep it that way for a while. While I'm pretty obsessive about keeping up with my email and I do get the email notices that there's a comment awaiting me, there may be times when I'm not going to get to it right away resulting in a delay between your comment being made and your comment being posted. If I'm going to be down for longer than a half-day or so, I'll try and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment